Pair in custody after shooting

Pair in custody after shooting

WMPD makes quick arrest following homicide on Ingram Blvd. A man and women are in custody following some quick work by the West Memphis Police Department.

According to WMPD Division Commander Capt.

Joe Baker, at approximately 10:11 a.m. yesterday, officers responded to a shooting at 714 Ingram Blvd.

“Upon arriving on the scene, officers located a 40year-old black male, later identified as Dedrick Meadows, who appeared to have sustained a gunshot wound to his abdomen area,” said Baker. “Officers secured the scene and medical personnel attempted lifesaving efforts on Meadows.”

Despite efforts made by medical personnel, Baker said Meadows succumbed to his injuries during transport to Regional One Medical Center in Memphis.

“After the call of the shooting went out on the radio,” said Baker, “detectives who were on a still watch in the area noticed a white Chevrolet Tahoe leaving the area at a high rate of speed and attempted a stop on the vehicle.”

The occupants of the vehicle, who were later identified as Justin East, 25, and Nicola Moore, 35, refused to stop, leading the detectives on a short vehicle pursuit before being stopped and detained. Detectives on the scene of the shooting had been able to obtain a description of the shooting suspect and East matched the information obtained.

East later confessed to detectives that he had in fact shot Meadows and then fled the area with the gun.

“East indicated the shooting stemmed from an ongoing disagreement between he and Meadows but did not elaborate on the situation,” said Baker. “East also confessed to throwing the gun used in the homicide out of the vehicle during the pursuit and detectives were able to go back and located the weapon.”

East was charged with Murder in the First Degree, Fleeing, and Tampering with Physical Evidence.

Moore was also charged in the crime due to the fact that she drove East away from the scene which led to the attempted disposal of the murder weapon.

East and Moore are expected to be arraigned in the West Memphis District Court today on those charges.

“This senseless crime seems to have stemmed from some sort of disagreement between these two men,” said West Memphis Police Chief Donald Oakes. “It's tragic that a simple disagreement can end in the loss of a life for one of the people involved. I'm very pleased that we had officers in a location which allowed

them to be immediately in the area of the crime and led to a fast and safe resolution to this situation.”

By Ralph Hardin