The Evening Times prints briefs about events for organizations, schools and governmental agencies. News briefs are accepted at the Times office, by fax at 735- 1020 or by e- mail news@ theeveningtimes. com. Always include contact information.
• YMCA of Memphis and the Mid-South Summer Food Service Program – Through August 4, 2017 at the Marion Elementary School. Meals will be provided to all eligible children free of charge. Acceptance and participation requirements for the program and all activities are without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability and there will be no discrimination in the course of the meal services. Enrolled children who are members of households which receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits or benefits under the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TAMF) are automatically eligible to receive free meals. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339 or 800-8456136 (Spanish).
– Saturday, June 3, beginning at 11 a.m., in the Marion Dollhouses (corner of Medel Marconi Rd. & E. Military Rd., Marion). Hot Dogs, Sno-Cones and water available to the community for free. Sponsored by Truth Generation Ministries, 4001 Commercial Center Dr., Marion
• 2nd Annual Small Fry Triathlon – Saturday, June 3,
9 until 11 a.m. at Brunetti Field, Currie St., Marion. Fun race for kids age 2-6. $20 per child includes T-shirt, racing bib, medal and Fat Boyz Shaved Ice. To register call 870-739-6041 or go to www.marionarchamber.org. Follow and like on Facebook at Small Fry Triathlon
• Cars & Motorcycles Festival – Saturday, June 3 at CJ’s Blues & Sport Club, 3110 E. Broadway, West Memphis. Register your vehicles. There will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. All vendors are welcome and must call in to reserve a spot. Gates open 7 a.m. for contestants, 8 a.m. for vendors and 11 a.m. for the public. For information call 901-305-7038 or 901-4067261.
• Relay for Life Fundraiser – Saturday, June 3 from 4 to 11 p.m. at Tilden Rodgers Park in West Memphis.
• First Baptist Church Vacation Bible School – Age 4 years through 6th grade, Monday, June 5 through Thursday, June 8 from 9 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. 200 N. Missouri St., West Memphis. For more information call 735-5241 or go to fbcwmem.org
• MARS Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic for cats and dogs – Tuesday, June 6 through Thursday, June 8 at the West Memphis Shelter. Applications and costs available on line at MARSofccar.org and at the West Memphis Shelter. Call 501-266-8243 for an application to be sent by mail.
• Avondale Kindergarten Early Registration – For 2017-18 school year at 1402 Crestmere, West Memphis during the Parent-Teacher Conferences 4 to 7:30 p.m. Registration will continue through May during regular school hours. For questions call 870-735-4588 or the Marion School website at msd3.org. Children must be 5 years old on or before Aug. 1, 2017.
• Summer Reading Camp – Monday, June 5 through Friday, June 30 from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. at 720 Calvin Avery Dr., Suite C, West Memphis. Registration deadline May 15. Deposit $25. Total camp cost $200. Early Bird Special $180. Contact the Reading Specialist Peggy L. Swift. Call 870-514-5386 or ReadingSpecialist2016@gmai l.com
• Avondale Vacation Bible School – 1001 Balfour, West Memphis. Monday, June 12 through Wednesday, June 14 from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m. Kindergarden thru 10th grade. For more information call youth pastor Zach Kersey at 901-827-6836.
• City of Earle Water Commission Public Meeting
– Tuesday, June 13 at 5:30 p.m. at the Earle City Hall Annex, 1005 Second St., Earle, across from the Earle City Hall. The purpose of the meeting is to inform the public in regards to the current state of the Earle Water Company’s finances and to hear the citizens regards and to discuss the need for a water rate increase.
• Retirement Reception honoring Superintendents – Superintendent Don Johnston, Assistant Superintendent Jeff Altermus and Secretary to the Superintendent Peggy Cozart on Wednesday, June 7 from 3 to 5 p.m. at 200 Manor St., Marion.
• Delta Market – Every third Tuesday through October (June 20, July 18, Aug. 15, Sept. 19 and Oct. 17) at the ASU-Mid South north campus parking lot with food, produce flowers, crafts, art and merchandise. New times are 3 to 7 p.m.
• L.R. Jackson Girls Club, Inc. Summer Enrichment Camp – June 5th through August 4, 2017. 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mon. – Fri. Low Low Rates…Sign Up Going On Now. Trips, arts & crafts, sports, Girl Scouts, Splash Day and much more. Boys & Girls ages 4 and up. For more information call 901-3180291.
• Avondale ABC Pre-School Applications 2017-2018 – taking applications for the school year. The ABC Pre-School is part of the Marion School District but is located at 1402 Crestmere in West Memphis. Applicants must be four years old on or before Aug. 1, 2017 and must live in the Marion School District. Applications will be accepted until all 60 slots are filled. The applications will also be available online at msd3.org.
• Woolfolk Public Library Story Hour – Come enjoy stories, crafts and a snack at the library, 100 N. Currie St., Marion every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
• Al-Anon & Alateen meetings – Mondays at 8 p.m. and Wednesdays at 8 p.m. at 1233 Park Drive, West Memphis. Call 870-735-5217. Go to www.ar.al-anon.alateen.org.
• Hughes High School 1972 Class Reunion – The Hughes High School Class of 1972 is planning their 46th class reunion for the Memorial Day weekend in 2018. Planning meetings are being held the third Saturday of each month at the Anthonyville MB Church, 1961 Hwy. 147 S., Proctor. All class members are asked to attend. For further information on these meetings and the reunion please contact Claudette D. Dubois at 870792-7648.
• Fish Fry the Last Friday in each month – VFW Post 5225, 406 S. Avalon, West Memphis. Eat in or carry out.
• American Legion Post 53 – Fish fry 1st Friday of every month. Food served from 5-8 p.m. Karaoke every Friday and Saturday night at 7 p.m. Bingo Monday’s at 7 p.m., 150 Legion Road. 735-8803.
• Arkansas State University Degree Center – Offering admission, advising, and scholarship information/assistance for students interested in attending Arkansas State University-Jonesboro on the ASU Mid-South campus. Students can major in Criminology, Business, Nursing, or Education and live locally. Assistance is available Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information call, Kennidi Ridgell, Degree .
• 15th Street Childcare Development Center – Announced its sponsorship of the USDA Food Program. Meals will be available at no separate charge or at a reduced charge for National School Lunch Program and at no charge for Child and Adult Care Program.
• Volunteer Drivers Needed – Jim Fiveash, the commander of the American Legion Post 53 needs Volunteer Van Drivers to transport veterans who live in Crittenden County to their VA appointments at the Memphis VA Medical Center and the new Primary Clinic in East Memphis. A 10 passenger transportation van will be furnished by the VA. For requirements and information contact Patrick Kennedy, LCSW, at 901-523-8990, ext. 5540.
• American Red Cross Volunteers Needed – Join the Crittenden County Disaster Action Team (DAT). For volunteer requirements and more information contact Crittenden County DAT Captain Steve Porter at 901495-4177.
• Feeding/Mentoring Program – Free Food at Barton Court Apartments for ages 5-18 sponsored by USDA At Risk Program 3:15 Supper/4:15 Snack.
• Charity Bingo – At the VFW on South Avalon Friday and Saturday early games at 6:30 p.m., regular bingo at 7:30 p.m. Food served at concession counter. $100 games, 4 jackpots and a winner take all. Free meal one Saturday of each month. For information call 735-9102.
• National Sultana Disaster Museum – Open Thursday’s, Friday’s and Saturday’s from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 2 until 4 p.m. at 104 Washington St. across from the county court house. Donation of $5 for adults and $3 for children.
• AARP Free Membership – Offering first time members Free Membership for one year. Included are privileges and countless discounts to many restaurants, hotels, theaters, entertainment parks and stores. Meetings every third Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. at the West Memphis Utility Company. Awesome speakers and refreshments will be served.
• Crittenden County AARP Chapter #3502 – Meets every third Tuesday in the month. Meeting are held at the West Memphis Utility Building located at 604 E. Cooper in West Memphis from 11:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. Individuals age 50 and up are welcomed to attend and join the local chapter. Members are provided with extensive knowledge regarding Health Concerns, Legislative Information, Community Service, and much more. A delicious lunch is always served.
• Good Neighbor Love CenterAnnual Canned Food Drive – Accepting non-perishable food items Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at 709 E. Broadway. For more information call 870-735-0870.
• West Memphis Senior Life Center Food Bank – Every third Thursday at 318 W. Tyler, West Memphis. Registration 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. Lunch served 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. For information call 870-702-7738.
“Cool Down with Jesus”