The Evening Times prints briefs about events for organizations, schools and governmental agencies. News briefs are accepted at the Times office, by fax at 735- 1020 or by e- mail news@ theeveningtimes. com. Always include contact information.
– On Labor Day weekend several families from the Porter Lake and Horseshoe Lake area will be coming together to celebrate the legacy left by our ancestors. We will be recognizing the contributions and sacrifices made by those who came before us. There will be food, fun, and fellowship for the entire family. If you are a part of that group from Bruins, Buck Bayou, Seyppel, and Pearland, and want to participate, please contact Melvin Davis or Dmandel Young for additional information at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
• West Memphis High School Class of 1978 40th Reunion – Friday, Aug. 31 and Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018. Friday Meet and Greet 7 until 11 p.m. at CG’s Catering, 5499 N. Main, Crawfordsville. Saturday, also at CG’s Catering, 6 to 7 p.m. Cocktail Hour, 7 to 8 p.m. Dinner Hour and 7:30 until 11:30 p.m. The Hired Guns Band will play for dancing. $75 per person if paid by Aug. 18. For more information contact Trish Smith at 870-7324655 or 901-491-8830.
• The Wonder High School Class of 1968 Reunion – will celebrate their 50th Class Reunion Thursday Aug. 30th through Sunday Sept. 2, 2018. For information call Carol Gage at 269-906-1743, Margaree Lyles at 269-6374409 or Milton at 909-5697048.
• Crittenden County Commission Garden Work Day – Saturday, Sept. 1 at 8 a.m. Come and pick the garden. Clean up and pick up what is needed. Maybe water the garden and possible quick workshop if a topic or question comes up. Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/gr oups/GrowCrittCo/ .
• Delta Market – Every Saturday through Sept. 1, at ASU Mid-South (North side of Broadway), from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Local fruits and vegetables, specialty and prepared foods, arts and crafts and food trucks.
• West Memphis Labor Day Trash Schedule – No service Monday, Sept. 3. Customers normally serviced on Monday and Tuesday will be serviced Tuesday, Sept. 4. Regular schedule resumes on Wednesday, Sept. 5.
• AARP Drivers Safety Course – Tuesday Sept. 4th, from 12 to 4 p.m., to be held at East Ark Family Health Center, 900 N 7th St. West Memphis. This class is open to everyone, NO TEST, with completion, you file with your Insurance company for a 3 year discount. Cost is AARP member $15.00 (must show your card), non members $20.00. For more information or to reserve your seat contact: Garry or Gayle Hahne at 870-339-2180.
• First Baptist Church, 200 N. Missouri St., West Memphis: AWANA starts Sept. 5 at 6 p.m.
• Marion Chamber Annual Awards Banquet – Thursday, Sept. 13 at 6:30 p.m. at Southland Park Gaming and Racing. Speaker Mike Preston, Executive Director Arkansas Economic Development Commission. Tickets $55 per person, available through Tracy Brick at 870-739-6041.
• Double Devil Feast – The West Memphis Athletic Booster Club will host its 30th annual Double Devil Feast on Friday, Sept. 14 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the West Memphis High School Cafeteria. The dinner consists of an 8 oz steak, baked potato, slaw, roll and drink. Eat in or carry out. Tickets are $10 and may be purchased by calling Carolyn Chrestman at 870-733-4259.
• Annual Gibson Bayou Homecoming – Saturday, Sept. 15 from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. three miles north of Wynne on Hwy. 149. Prizes include a TV, grill or $300 cash. Tickets are one dollar or seven tickets for $5. All proceeds go to the upkeep of ¡34. MneMdPs Mu®®!
Gibson Bayou Church and cemetery. To donate mail a check or money order to Gibson Bayou in care of Darlene Andrews at 303 Merriman Ave., Wynne, AR 72396. All donations are tax deductible.
• 3rd Annual Education is the Key Fundraiser – Come join the men of the West Memphis-Marion (AR) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., as they host 'Donor Days.' This fundraiser is partnership between Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., and ASU Mid-South Foundation. 100% of the funds donated will go to support Student Activities. Donor Days will be held on Saturday, Sept. 15 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Walmart Neighborhood Market in Marion.
• Olive Branch Genealogy Club Meeting – Wednesday, Sept. 19 from 12 to 2 p.m. at B. J. Chain Library, 6619 Hwy. 305 N. (Cockrum Rd.), Olive Branch, Mississippi. Doughboy re-enactor Tim Pool will headup our World War I Centennial presentation. No dues and all in the Memphis metro area are welcome. Meetings on 3rd Wednesday except December. Call 662-895-4365 or find us on Facebook.
• Marion Chamber of Commerce 2nd Annual Hogs on the Square – Saturday, Sept. 29 kick-off time TBA. Bring your favorite tailgate set-up to the Courthouse Square and watch the Hogs vs. Texas A& M on a jumbo screen. Contact Tracy Brick at 870-739-6041 for more information.
• St. Michael’s School Charity Bingo – Tuesdays at 7 p.m. at 405 N. Missouri St., West Memphis. Smoke and alcohol free. All are welcome. Must be 18 to play. 870-7351720.
• Free 50+ Expo – Saturday, Sept. 29 from 1 to 8 p.m. at Eugene Woods Civic Center, 212 W. Polk Ave., West Memphis. Enjoy fun, games, exercise, nutrition sessions and more! You will also be able to shop with a variety of vendors. Stop by and visit: Healthcare Officials and West Memphis Police Department. For information contact Tamara Hood at 870-6362418 or Alleyene Peters at 870-733-2404.
• Bethel AME Church Free Meals For All Children – After School at Risk Program through Sept. 30, 2019 at the locations listed: Bethel AME Church, 2403 E. Barton Supper (M-F) 3 p.m.; East Jr. High, 1151 Goodwin Supper (M-F) 3:30 p.m. and Snack (M-F) 4:30 p.m.; L.R. Jackson Elementary, 2395 SL Henry St. Supper (M-F) 3 p.m.; Maddux Elementary, 2100 E. Barton Ave. Supper (M-F) 3 p.m.; West Jr. High, 331 W. Barton Ave. Supper (M-F) 3:30 p.m.; West Memphis Housing, 4052 S.L. Henry-Unit 45 Supper (M-F) 3 p.m.; Wonder Elementary, 801 S. 16th St. Supper (M-F) 3 p.m.; and Wonder Jr. High, 1401 Madison Ave. Supper (M-F) 3:30 p.m. and Snack (M-F) 4:30 p.m. Tutoring Resources Available.
• Left Bank Festival – Saturday, Oct. 6, at 4 p.m. at Delta Regional Park/Big River Crossing. Run, music, food and fun. For more information
Qnæiriity ffimg© visit www.leftbankfestival.com
• Men In Schools To Encourage Reading – Weaver Elementary, 1280 E. Barton, West Memphis is inviting parents, relatives and community members to provide strong male role models to share the love of reading. Opportunities available 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday-Friday to be a MISTER.
• Class of West Memphis High School 1968 Reunion – Friday, Oct. 12 and Saturday, Oct. 13. Friday night attending West Memphis vs. Jonesboro football game and the class of ‘68 will be recognized. There will be a tailgate party round 5 p.m. Entrance to the game is $5 per person and each class member is responsible for the cost. Saturday night at 7 p.m. Meadowbrook Country Club. Cost is $30 each, $60 per couple. Pay in advance by Sept. 15 to Gary Masner, 581 E. Broadway, West Memphis, AR 72301.
• EACC Presents ‘All Hands on Deck’ – Saturday, Oct. 20 at 7:30 p.m. at the EACC Fine Arts Center. For tickets or information call 870-6334480. ext. 352 or www.eacc.edu.
• Vet-Oberfest Cornhole Tournament – Oct. 27, registration starts at 10 a.m., bags fly at 11 a.m. at 40 & 8 Veterans Club, 152 Legion Rd., West Memphis. Competitive Div. $40 a team, bring your partner. Tailgater Div. $20 a team. Double elimination. Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams. Food, drinks, door prizes, & 50/50 raffles. 21+ bar. Bring the family, activities for the kids. Contact Jerry at 901-229-6257. 40 & 8 club 870-735-8066.
• Expungement Clinic – Friday, Nov. 2, from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m. at First Assembly of God, 513 N. Missouri St., West Memphis. Get free legal services including: sealing a record, protecting your privacy and clearing your criminal history. Appointments required contact Greneda Johnson at 870-972-9224 ext. 2202.
Labor Day Weekend Celebration