Severe storms move through Arkansas, damage reported

Severe storms move through Arkansas, damage reported

LITTLE ROCK — Several storms became severe early Thursday and caused damage to areas in north Arkansas and in the Little Rock metro area.

While severe weather was not widespread, there have been several reports of damage across the state.

Just after 4:30 a.m., a tornado- like storm caused damage to trees, powerlines, and structures south of Yellville in Marion county that trapped several people.

Several hours later, strong thunderstorms knocked out power in portions of Yell and Pope county.

Little Rock did not escape the worst weather either, with a severe thunderstorm moving into the metro area around 4:30 a.m., with many reports of trees and power lines down in Benton, Maumelle, and areas west of downtown Little Rock.

The severe threat wound down as rain and storms moved east throughout the morning and early afternoon, with calmer weather, but much cooler air behind it.

Temperatures plunged Thursday overnight, with temperature differentials of nearly 50 degrees in some parts of the state in less than 24 hours.

Temperatures are expected to remain seasonably cool this week.


Woman imbezzles $500,000 from

Cabot business

CABOT — The Cabot Police Department arrested a woman charged with embezzling more than $500,000 from Stedfast Heat and Air over several years.

Police say that Brandy Higgins, aka Brandy Baugh, stole the money from the store over several years and that they began their investigation into the incident on November 21.

Higgins was charged with three felony counts of theft of property, one felony count of theft of property, fraudulent use of credit card, theft of property of credit/debit card or account number, a misdemeanor count of fraudulent use of credit card number, and three misdemeanor counts of theft of property.

Authorities say she was afforded the opportunity to post bond.


Teen on the run following escape from Juvenile Center

BRYANT — Bryant Police are searching for a juvenile who escaped from the a state youth detention center in Alexander on Sunday. Although, the investigation into the escape didn’t officially start until Wednesday morning.

14-year-old Keaton McGee got out shortly after 2:30 p.m.

Sunday afternoon by climbing on top of a low roof and scaling over the razor-wire fence.

Bryant Police Department Sergeant Todd Crowson said, “We worked with state police that night. State police was there as well. They brought out K-9s to help search for the subject and obviously he wasn’t found. He’s still out and about.”

But since then, no one had been looking for McGee until now. Sergeant Crowson blames miscommunication between departments on who was going to take over. He said, “State [Police] apparently thought we were going to do it. We thought state was going to do it because typically they would handle something like this.” But Bryant PD decided to take the lead anyway.

However, that doesn’t ease the pain of his mother who has gotten zero information from the Department of Youth Services. “I haven’t gotten any missed calls saying they’ll call me back with more clues and tips. It’s like dead ends.

It has become a nightmare.

It’s a nightmare,” said Tiffany Patton. She says she just wants her son to be safe and get the help he desperately needs, adding, “I want him to come home.

I want him to know that we love him. I have to turn him over to the authorities, but it’s because he belongs to the courts right now.”

According to his mother, Mcgee was in the detention facility for revoked probation on a breaking and entering charge because of a fight at Bryant High School.

For any information on his whereabouts, call the Bryant Police Department at 501943-0943.