NEWS BRIEFS (cont.)
— Looking for a Pet? Call the Marion Animal Shelter at 739-5412. Adoption fees are $100 for dogs, $75 for cats. 1101 L.H. Polk Ext.
Blanket and food donations accepted.
• 40 & 8 Club — Steak night Wednesdays. Fish fry every third Friday of the month at 152 Legion Road, West Memphis. 735-0866.
• American Legion Charity Bingo — Mondays at 7 p.m.
at 150 Legion Rd. across from the speedway race track. If we have 35 people we will pay $100 per game. We will play old program. Early bird starts at 6:45. Call 870-735-8803 after 4 p.m.
• G.E.M. Academy — Inside The Word on the Move Tabernacle, 2703 E.
Broadway, West Memphis: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 to 5 p.m. We offer education enrichment classes for children 1st to 3rd grade. For more information or to register for 2018 contact our School Director Mrs. Marlena Davis at 870-394-4792.
• West Memphis City Council — Meeting schedule: 1:30 p.m., on the first Thursday of each month; 5 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month, at West Memphis City Hall, 205 S. Redding St., in West Memphis. All meetings are open to the public.
• Crittenden County Health Unit — The Crittenden County Health Unit will have special extended hours every Tuesday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. These adjusted hours give the unit the opportunity to stay open later to accommodate those who are not able to come during normal business hours. Clinical services that are available include: Women, Infants & Children (WIC), nutrition counseling and support, birth control pick-ups, Depo shots, sexually transmitted infection (STI) screening and services, and immunizations. Family Planning Late Clinic will be the third Tuesday each month.
For more information on services and regular hours call 870-735-4334. Local health units can be found online at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
• VFW Fish Fry — Last Friday each month at VFW Post 5225, 406 S. Avalon, West Memphis. Eat-in or carry-out.
• Child and Adult Care Food Program — The 15th Street Child Care Development Center is participating in the Child and Adult Food Program. This will provide meals to all children regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability and there will be no discrimination in the course of the meal service. Meals are provided at 130 S. 14th Street in West Memphis. The program will provide breakfast, lunch and a p.m. snack, Monday-Friday.
• American Legion Post 53 Fish Fry — First Friday of every month. Food served from 5 to 8 p.m. Karaoke every Friday and Saturday night at 7 p.m. Bingo Monday’s at 7 p.m., 150 Legion Road. 735-8803.
• Arkansas State University Degree Center – Offering admission, advising, and scholarship information/assistance for students interested in attending Arkansas State University-Jonesboro on the ASU Mid-South campus.
Students can major in Criminology, Business, Nursing, or Education and live locally. Assistance is available Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information call, Kennidi Ridgell, Degree.
• Volunteer Drivers Needed – Jim Fiveash, the commander of the American Legion Post 53 needs Volunteer Van Drivers to transport veterans who live in Crittenden County to their VA appointments at the Memphis VA Medical Center and the new Primary Clinic in East Memphis. A 10 passenger transportation van will be furnished by the VA.
For requirements and information contact Patrick Kennedy, LCSW, at 901-523-8990, ext. 5540.
• American Red Cross Volunteers Needed – Join the Crittenden County Disaster Action Team (DAT). For volunteer requirements and more information contact Elzadia Washington at 870-635-1955.