Entergy Arkansas provides summer energy efficiency tips
A few simple steps can offset the higher usage, higher bills that come with Southern temps
[email protected] LITTLE ROCK — Summertime in the South brings sunshine, warm temperatures and humid days, which can lead to an increase in energy consumption to help offset the uncomfortable weather.
Entergy Arkansas offers some simple steps that can make your home’s cooling unit more efficient and help keep bills lower through the hottest months of the year.
• Set your thermostat at 77 degrees or the highest comfortable temperature. Each degree lower than 77 can raise your bill as much as 3 percent. If you set the airconditioning to a cooler 72 degrees, you’ve already increased your bill by 18 percent.
• Buy a programmable thermostat, which can adjust the temperature for the hours you’re home and when you’re out.
• Use fans to cool off, but remember – fans cool people, not rooms. Ceiling fans, box fans and oscillating fans use very little electricity to circulate the air, which helps you feel several degrees cooler. To save more energy, be sure to turn them off when you leave the room.
• Close blinds, shades and draperies to keep the sun out and the cool air in.
Also, close air conditioning vents in rooms that are not in use.
• Seal cracks and holes around doors, windows and ductwork. Weather stripping (pictured: right) and caulk will help keep the cold air in and the hot air out.
• Make sure air coming into your home is clean and healthy. Some air conditioning units require monthly cleaning or filter replacement to filter the air and keep the unit running efficiently. An inspection by an HVAC professional could also help address any issues.
• Entergy Solutions programs available in Arkansas can help make your home energy efficient at little or no-cost to you at entergysolutionsar.com.
• Access entergy.com/savemoney for energy-saving tips and calculators that will help determine the best cost-cutting scenarios to suit your needs.
Implementing these behaviors can help you save energy and money during the time of year when most energy bills are at their highest due to increased usage.
Entergy Arkansas has also developed several resources, such as choosing your billing date, levelized billing and more, for customers experiencing financial hardship. Customers can enroll in programs online at www.EntergyArkansas.com /bill-help/ or call 1-800ENTERGY to set up a payment plan.
About Entergy Arkansas
Entergy Arkansas provides electricity to approximately 715,000 customers in 63 counties. Entergy Arkansas is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation, an integrated energy company engaged in electric power production, transmission and retail distribution operations.
Entergy delivers electricity to 3 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy owns and operates one of the cleanest large-scale U.S. power generating fleets with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including 7,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Headquartered in New Orleans, Louisiana, Entergy has annual revenues of $10 billion and more than 13,000 employees. Learn more at entergy. com, and follow @Entergy on social media.